Envoy conducted a Social Return on Investment evaluation of the Exercise by Referral (Live Life Better) programme across eight district and borough councils across Derbyshire. The evaluation focused on the social and economic impact created for patients with vulnerabilities and complex health needs. Key findings:
- Patients improved from an average of less than 20 minutes of exercise per week before the programme, to over 130 minutes per week after 12 weeks, and over 150 minutes per week after 52 weeks.
- Almost 60% of patients reported reduced visits to GPs and hospitals.
- Health professionals reported at least 50% have reduced their likelihood of an early death.
- 1 in 4 patients had stopped or reduced the need for medication.
- £6.60 of social and economic value is created per £1 invested, inclusive of £1.50 return on investment to the public purse.